The picturesque village of Les Issambres is a 15 minutes’ drive from St Raphael and about 20 minutes from St Tropez. This exurb is part of the municipality of Roquebrune sur Argens, the neighboring municipality of St Maxime. The village is part of an immense nature reserve and slopes up against the massif behind it. Just north of Les Issambres are Grimaud and Roquebrune, both picturesque villages with town gates and cosy narrow streets between old houses and galleries. In the surrounding areas you can do splendid walks at the Massif des Maures, a beautiful and vast natural reserve.
Les Issambres has a small and enjoyable centre with all the facilities such as a baker’s, a butcher’s, a supermarket, a petrol filling station, a pizza deliverer, a GP and several restaurants. It is a real family seaside resort on the Mediterranean Sea. It is also a nice place to stay with regard to culinary delight, for there are a number of restaurants that are mentioned in the Michelin guide.
Les Issambres also has a harbour, called San Peyre. Every hour you can take the boat (called ‘navette’) from here to St Tropez, Cannes, Nice or Monaco, which is nice indeed when roads are busy. Especially during high season it saves travelling time and it is a nice experience.
Excursions with the Navette
This year the Navette (Ferry) has different excursions to offer, departing from Les Issambres, St. Aygulf and St. Maxime. Beside the excursions, the Navette will also take you to Cannes, Nice, St. Tropez and Port-Grimaud. Tickets for these rides you can get on board. If you would like to go on excursion, you need to book a ticket. You can go to the Tourist Promotion Office, located in the center of Les Issambres. The following excusrions are offered by the Navette;
- The Bay and its celebrities’ houses; Discover St. Tropez by its sea, its history and its celebrities houses. After entering the history of St. Tropez, you may stop-over as long as you wish.
- Gulf Tour with or without stop over; After visiting the Bay of Canoubiers, where the celebrities spend their holidays, you disembark in St. Tropez, the most charming and famous fishing village in France. Before returning, you can have a nice view of the harbours of Marines de Cogolin, Port-Grimaud and Beauvallon.
- Port-Grimaud the “French Venice”; Visit the magnificent village built on the water. Port-Grimaud will delight you by the Provencal architecture in different colours.
- The Wild Capes; Enjoy an escapade to a national protected area! You pass along the famous Bay of Pampelonne, Cape Camarat and Cape Taillat. Then discover the Bay of Briande, an azure paradise under the vineyards, up to Cape Lardier.
- The Creeks of Esterel; Come and see the great red cliffs of the Esterel Massif plunging in the clear waters of the Mediterranean sea. Discover the Cape Dramont with its fantastic ridges of red rocks; an unforgettable 3 dimensional site.
- Port-Cros Island; Escape into this earth and underwater National Park, a paradise for divers and hikers. Enjoy wonderful points of view, great wild landscapes with an exceptional fauna and flora. For more information, please have a look here: http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/var/portcros/portcros.htm
- Porquerolles Island; Explore this wonderful island, its creeks with crystalline waters and its large sand beaches bordered by magnificent pine trees. Discover its various shapes: lagunas, cliffs, scrubs and tracks for hikers and bike riders….an unforgettable island! For more information, please have a look here: http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/var/porquerolles/porquerolles.htm
- Cannes; Walk along the Croisette, step on the stairs of the Film Festival’s Palais and go for some shopping in the city!
- Ste-Marguerite Island; Visit Fort Vauban: the prison of the legendary Iron Mask and the Sea Museum. Then walk through the fragrant paths and swim in one of the numerous creeks. For more information, please have a look here: http://www.cannes-groups.com/spip.php?article11
- Sea fishing; Always wanted to fish on the Mediterranean sea? Come and fish with the Navette! Equipment, baits, snacks and wine are provided for you.
- St. Tropez market; Every Tuesdays and Saturdays, located in the heart of St. Tropez on the famous “Place des Lices”, you will enjoy browsing amongst the colored stands with all their Provencal fragrances.
Would you like to have more information about the Navette, please take a look at http://www.bateauxverts.com. You will discover the real Côte d’Azur!
Les Issambres has a long coastline with many wonderful beaches in all sizes. There are several beaches where you can stay at no cost or enjoy the paid service of a sun bed and sun umbrella. Les Issambres has a number of sandy beaches and along the coast up to St. Tropez are many possibilities to sojourn at beach pavilions cheaply as well costly.
On the Côte d’Azur you can enjoy the beautiful nature. The Tourist Office of Les Issambres distributes free walking maps for various distances near your apartment. Should you wish to get more information, please contact:
Office de Tourisme (Les Issambres)
Place San Peire – N98
83380 Les Issambres
Tel. +33 (0)4 98 11 37 25
Local Office de Tourisme
15, Rue Grande – André Cabasse
Tel. +33 (0)4 94 19 89 89
Restaurants Les Issambres
Not far from the apartment you can visit several delicious restaurants at different price ranges. Would you like to indulge yourself, then that is possible on a 2 minutes’ drive from the apartment at “Chante La Mer” on the Place Ottavani. This restaurant is awarded a “Bib Gourmand” i.e. well prepared and tasty meals for a reasonable price. In the centre of Les Issambres, with a view of the sea, you will find the restaurant “Le Provençal”, where you can enjoy i.a. steak au poivre and lobster.
Restaurants St. Maxime
In St. Maxime (12 minute drive from the appartments) there are a lot of nice restaurants, especially at the boulevard. “La Reserve” is a very nice restaurant, which is always busy. The restaurant is run by sisters and is a true family business. But pay attantion that from the end of November until the end of February they are closed. Nextdoor there is also a nice restaurant named “Cafe Maxime”, which is a very popular restaurant to have lunch, drink but also for diner. On the corner next to Cafe Maxime you will find “Le Wafou”. This is also a nice place to have lunch or diner. But in the evening it can be possible that they have live music and this can be somewhat loud for some.
Every day there are nice markets on the Côte d’Azur. Below you will find a list of market days in the neighborhood. Please bear in mind that, depending on the season, markets could be limited in number.
- Cavalaire: Wednesday from 08.00 to 14.00 hours
- Cogolin: Wednesday and Saturday from 07.00 to 13.00 hours
- Collobrières: Sunday and Thursday morning (only in summer)
- Fréjus: Tuesday, Wednesday , Friday (en saison) and Saturday morning
- Frejus-plage: Sunday
- La Croix Valmer: Sunday morning
- Gassin: Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 08.00 to 12.00 hours
- Grimaud: Thursday morning
- La Garde Freinet: Sunday and Wednesday from 08.00 to 12.00 hours
- Les Issambres: Monday morning
- Plan de la Tour: Thursday morning
- Port Grimaud: Sunday morning
- Ramatuelle: Thursday and Sunday morning
- Roquebrune: Friday morning
- Sainte Maxim: Friday morning
- St. Augulf: Tuesday and Friday morning
- Saint Tropez: Saturday morning and Tuesday morning
Public transport to Les Issambres
The airports of the Côte d’Azur can be found in the next 3 places:
- Nice – At about 45 minutes from the apartment. Every 10 minutes free shuttle buses leave from Nice airport to take you to the rental cars or to the railway station of Nice. There are also direct buses to St Raphael en Fréjus.
- Toulon – At about 60 minutes from the apartment.
- Marseille – At about 70 minutes from the apartment.
Below you will find the airlines that fly to the Côte d’Azur:
From The Netherlands
- Ryanair From Eindhoven direct flights to Marseille.
- Transavia From Amsterdam direct flights to Nice and Toulon. From Rotterdam direct flights to Toulon.
- KLM From Amsterdam direct flights to Nice, Toulon and Marseille.
- Ryanair From Bruxelles-Charleroi direct flights to Marseille.
- Jetairfly From Bruxelles direct flights to Toulon.
The nearest railway station is in St. Raphaël. From there it is easy to take the train to e.g. Cannes or Nice. Every hour the intercity trains leaves for the seaside towns on a regular basis.
Are you looking for a rental car at Nice, Toulon or Marseille Airport, please take a look at the following sites:
- Hertz – www.hertz.nl
- E-autohuur – www.eautohuur.nl
- Alamo – www.alamo.nl
- Avis – www.avis.nl
- Europcar – www.europcar.com
Climate Les Issambres
In Les Issambres the weather is alle year nice. In les Issambrembres the sub is shining more than 300 days per year and it is not raining much. The Mistral is a a strong nothern wind, that can occure.